(makes 6 serves)
Calories: 160, Protein: 8g, Fats: 2g, Carbohydrate: 11g for each patty
This recipe is adapted from http://veggieandthebeastfeast.com and I love to break these up and add to my salad.
2 tablespoons chia seeds ground to powder
6 tablespoons warm water
½ cup chopped yellow onion
2 carrots grated
2 cloves garlic
1 cup chickpeas
1½ teaspoons curry powder
½ teaspoon ground cumin
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
Pinch chilli flakes (or more depending on your liking)
½ teaspoon turmeric
¼ cup flour (spelt/kamut or other ancient grain)
- Preheat oven to 180 ˚C
- Mill the chia seeds to a powder in your food processor then mix with the water and set aside
- Place the onion, carrot and garlic in the food processor and blitz until finely chopped
- Add all the ingredients to your food processor and blitz in pulses until the mix starts to come together. You don’t want a paste, you want some chunky bits!
- Place the mix in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm it up and make it easier to mould (this can be avoided if you have a silicone spatula that you can mould the mix with…it doesn’t stick to the silicone)
- Shape the mix into 6 patties and place on a lined baking tray
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until the outside gets crispy
- Serve straight away with Salad Base, avocado, and choice of dressing, or allow to cool and freeze for later use
NB You don’t have to have patties, you can make golf ball sized ‘meat balls’ or my favourite, crumble the cooked patty into your salad.
PLEASE NOTE: Legumes contain many anti-nutrients that impact nutrient absorption but they are also a great food for good good bacteria. Ensure you soak them at least overnight and thoroughly cook them to make them easier on the gut. If you find you bloat with legumes it’s likely that you don’t have enough of the bacteria needed to break these down which causes fermentation in the gut and bloating. You can help to populate these bacteria by consuming smaller amounts of legumes. Some gut healing protocols will require legumes to be omitted for a period of time.