This smells like Christmas when it’s cooking and is irresistible in the pantry! A great sprinkle for many a dish also!
200 g organic unstabilised oats (optional – add more nuts and seeds if omitting)
300 g nut and seed mix (raw insecticide-free almonds, sunflower seeds, cashews, hazelnuts, pecans, walnuts, peanuts, macadamia, pepitas, Brazils)
1 teaspoon cinnamon
Zest from 1 orange
1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
2 tablespoons honey or pure maple syrup
140 g dried fruit (organic sultanas, raisins, preservative free apricots, prunes, dates, Inca berries, figs)
- Preheat the oven to 120 °C
- Warm honey and vanilla in a large saucepan until it is pouring consistency (about 15 seconds)
- Take off the heat and add the oats, nuts, seeds, cinnamon and orange zest
- Stir well until all are coated evenly
- Line 2 large baking trays with baking paper/silicone mats
- Divide the mix onto the trays and spread out evenly
- Toast in the oven for about 1 hour or until golden in colour. Check regularly and toss to ensure even toasting and no burning
- Cool on the trays until the mix is crunchy
- Add dried fruits
- Store in a sealed container to keep it fresh
NB Nibble on this mix as a tasty snack or sprinkle on top of your açai bowl or smoothie for added crunch!
PLEASE NOTE: Nuts and seeds contain many anti-nutrients that impact nutrient absorption. They are also a high PUFA food and should be consumed sparingly. Activating nuts and seeds neutralises some of the anti-nutrients making them easier on the gut. If you are currently on a gut healing protocol, suffer with fatigue and brain fog, or have nutrient deficiencies it may be best to omit nuts and seeds from your diet whilst you heal.